Saturday 9 August 2008

The "Aussies" in Beijing


Yeah,  just killing time on a lazy Saturday morning,  clicking on whatever brightly-coloured item pops up on Yahoo when I finish checking my email... well,  I didn't see much of the ceremony yesterday,  so I was feeling the need to catch up with the three billion people who did,  or however many it was.  (click images to enlarge)


Gee,  their sandals might be very summery and Australian and all,  but in those outfits they could be mistaken for New Zealanders...
(takes closer look at flag)
Ah.

The people at Yahoo USA did do some research - they carefully looked up the name and details of the flagbearer:


... they just failed to notice this was not in fact the guy in question.  Despite that nifty Polynesian accessory he's been draped in  (hey,  are those things kiwi feathers??  Were any endangered national symbols harmed in the making of this opening ceremony?)

You know,  I really don't mind.  It's just like the Canadians and the Americans.  I think the New Zealanders have more cause to be offended for being mistaken for Australians.  I'd love to have people thinking that we were seriously committed to environmental goals,  dead against genetically modified food and nuclear weapons,  and fully in favour of gay civil unions and protecting the dignity of indigenous people.

No comments: